Thursday, March 4, 2010

Valentine's Day

Plot: A group of intertwining stories about love set to the backdrop of the Valentine's Day holiday. Whatever feelings, pressures, and expectations these characters have about this holiday are played out on screen. Everything from first love, to new love, to old love is represented.

Review: This film was a very straight-forward, likable ensemble comedy along the lines of He's Just Not That Into You and Love Actually. It was sweet. It was funny. I love the fact that it takes place on Valentine's Day because I am a sucker for a theme. Although not very original, isn't going to catapult anyone's career, and shouldn't win any awards, it was still enjoyable. The acting was good. Anne Hathaway was hilarious, and Taylor Swift was actually quite funny (though hearing her song play at the end made me want to run out of the theater). Ashton Kutcher, however, needs to change up his roles with another "Butterfly Effect" role because he's starting to bore me again. I liked the different stories, but there was unequal focus amongst them with too much focus on Ashton Kutcher's story and not enough on the married couple. Favorite vignette? I really liked the soldier story with Julia Roberts, but I'm biased in that regard. Best chemistry? Well that would be a spoiler so I'll just put that opinion at the bottom after the star rating with a spoiler alert. At the end of the movie, I was happy to have watched it. It made me laugh. It's a definite keeper because it literally is a Valentine's Day movie. The only thing I'm left wondering is what happens to Patrick Dempsey's character at the end? They weren't really clear. Be sure to stick around for the bloopers during the credits. Funny!!! Beware men: This is a total chick flick.

Rating: Acting-B

Writing-C

Directing-B

Music-C- That's because of you Taylor Swift

Cinematography-B

Editing-B

Costumes-B

Art Direction-B

Makeup-C I thought Jessica Biel had way too much makeup on.

Hair-C I hate Jessica Alba as a blonde.

Visual Effects-B

**1/2 Stars


!!!!!Spoiler Alert!!!!!!

Favorite couple?

Ashton Kutcher and Jennifer Garner surprisingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment