2014 PG-13 War
- Plot: In a race against time, a crew of art historians and museum curators unite to recover renowned works of art stolen by Nazis before Hitler destroys them. Written, directed and starring George Clooney.Trailer
- Review: Some say this film is this year's Argo. An ensemble period piece about getting art instead of people out from behind enemy lines sounds more like Ocean's 11 than it does Argo, especially since the trailer lends itself to more comedy than drama. We will see. I'm intrigued.
- Rating: TBD
- Watch with: Syria, Valkyrie
- Plot: At St. Vladimir's Academy, Rose Hathaway learns to navigate life as a dhampir, a half-human vampire, and prepares to become a leader of the Moroi. But outside the walls of St. Vlad's lurk the Strigoi, the Moroi's vicious immortal enemies. Trailer
- Review: So I still like vampires and dark comedies. It seems like a writer & director match made in heaven. I also love Zoe Deutch, daughter of Switched at Birth star Lea Thompson and think she's a talented newcomer that I'm happy to see in a lead role. I'm glad the studio took a chance on a newcomer in a lead. Let's hope she can rise to expectations.
- Rating: TBD
- Watch with: Heathers and Mean Girls
- 2014 PG-13 Adventure
- Paul W.S. Anderson
- Plot: In the days leading up to the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, a slave on a ship headed for Naples is determined to get back home to save the woman he loves, as well as his best friend, who is a gladiator trapped in the city's coliseum. Trailer
- Rating: TBD
- Watch with: The Immortals, 300 Rise of an Empire
Review: It's going to be surreal to say the least to watch Cory Montieth in his final film especially considering the subject of this film and the way he died. Hopefully this film will touch someone and help them see the destruction of addiction and maybe make people have a bit more understanding of this debilitating disease.
Watch WITH: Blow, Requiem for A Dream, Rachel Getting Married
2013 R Period Drama
Review: This film looks different from a lot of these affair gone wrong films. It has an air of mystery about it. I must say though how gross it is to watch period pieces where first cousins marry. Perhaps that will make it easier to watch infidelity happen on screen since it's abomination for them to be married in the first place. I guess it's good thing Felton's character doesn't wanna seem to get it on. Otherwise here comes the 2-headed monkey babies with webbed feet.
Watch with: Anna Karenina
2013 R Romantic Comedy
Review: It makes me twinge to think that this premise can actually be considered romantic. If the 2 people get together it will be because she broke a vow. She's already married. How can you be with someone knowing they cheated on their spouse. Is that a rock solid foundation for marriage number 2? I'm watching this because it's a unique if not depressing premise that I'm curious to see played out on screen. Oh, and I like Ryan Kwanten. I've only seen him on TV shows: Tru Blood & Summerland and hope he can carry a film.
Watch with: My Best Friend's Wedding
2014 R Thriller
Review: Another Josh C. Waller film out this week. Very different from McCanick in subject matter. It'll be interesting to see if there are stylistic similarities with the direction even with a different genre. Please refrain from The Hunger Games rip off comments. If anything, this is more like Death Race, Gamer, or The Condemned, which all came out before The Hunger Games books were even written. Some good actresses here: Fenn & Nichols. The premise of this seems more intriguing then Death Race or The Condemned but lessso than Gamer.
Watch with: Gamer