Thursday, February 4, 2010

Two Lovers

Plot: A depressed man can't choose between two women, starring Joaquin Phoenix, Gwyneth Paltrow & Vinessa Shaw.


Review: Why do so many indie films have to be depressing? Don't get me wrong I love a good sob fest. One of my all time favorite films is Waking the Dead. Now that is a sad movie; however, I prefer sad films that are sad because of circumstance rather than poor judgment by the main characters. Death versus voluntary abandonment, for instance. This film is the latter with the main character being a man of very poor judgment. Though the acting was great (this was a wonderful vehicle for Joaquin Phoenix-a great last film & Paltrow's Independent Spirit Award nod is well deserved), it was the characters that I didn't like. Phoenix started off as a depressed man that I at least felt sorry for, but his actions made me dislike him more and more. Paltrow was the typical damsel in distress type, the ones that cause all of their own drama (I hate those). The other love interest played by Vinessa Shaw was sweet but boring. The movie was well made: the cinematography was beautiful. It seemed to match the mood of the main character. Overall, I'm glad I watched the movie simply because it is supposedly Phoenix's last film, but it was too sad to watch again.

Awards: Nominated- Independent Spirit Award for Best Director James Gray and Best Female Lead Gwyneth Paltrow

Nominated- Golden Palm(Cannes Film Festival)- James Gray


Rating: Acting-A (tune into Bravo Mar 5th to see if Paltrow wins)
Writing-C
Directing-A
Music-B- a lot of opera used very symbolic
Cinematography-A
Editing-B
Costumes-C- two female leads were noticeably different, but the choices were very dated
Art Direction-B
Makeup-B
Visual Effects-A love the first shot in the film- really symbolic

**1/2 stars-so close to 3 but the film just upset me too much.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this. I'm really happy I watched the movie but I can't bring myself to watch it again. I watched it in hilton head in that little indie theater that we always go to, and when i came out i was depressed for the rest of the day. The beach is not a good place to be depressed. I really hope this wasn't his last film tho! This is laura btw. I don't have any of those acccounts so I'm anonymous haha.

    ReplyDelete