Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cold Souls

Plot: A depressed man puts his soul in storage in order to feel better.
Starring: Paul Giamatti, Emily Watson, David Strathairn, Lauren Ambrose

Review: An interesting, funny, "thinking person's film". What else can I say? I really loved this movie. Interesting mix of comedy, fantasy, and drama. Beautifully acted. The cinematography was ethereal and dreamlike. This movie gave me the same feelings that Vanilla Sky and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind did. My only problem with this film were the scenes in Russian, and that's only because I was watching this movie on a small TV and had to have my hubby read the subtitles because I wasn't wearing my glasses. Beautiful, unique. Really, really stunning. This movie is what film making is all about: making smart, beautifully executed films that serve a purpose.

Awards:Nominated for 3 Independent Spirit Awards for best cinematography, first screenplay, and supporting female: Dina Korzun & Nominated for Grand Jury Prize: Dramatic at Sundance Film Festival

Rating: Acting-A
Writing-A
Directing-A
Music-A
Cinematography-A
Editing-A
Costumes-B
Art Direction-A
Makeup-B

***1/2 stars

1 comment: