Monday, November 30, 2009

Movie Catch Up- 9 reviews in 1

OK so I'm seriously behind. So in order to catch up, I will be reviewing 9 movies in this blog very briefly.

DOA: Dead on Arrival- stylish, great art direction and set design with lots of t&a shots (though no nudity) for the primarily male audience it's aimed at, nice fight sequences and no plot. Still, a lot of fun. Surprisingly, I give it ** 1/2 stars for style.

Love n Dancing: great west coast swing, a small part featuring the second season winner and third season top 10 contestants from So You Think You Can Dance, and Amy Smart can dance (who knew?). Those are the best parts; nay, those are the only good parts. Clichéd plot, zero chemistry between the leads, and some of the worst film music ever picked (who was their music supervisor?); seriously bad tracks that belong in an 80's dance movie. *

The Tournament: Interesting premise with a clichéd ending. Not sure what I think, because I've already forgotten the movie.

Inglorious Basterds: OMG amazing. Never seen a film like it, a fake biopic with an ending I just can't give away. Tarantino's a genius. Go see it. ***

GI Joe: More like GI Blows. I seriously don't know why this movie did so well in the theater. It contained a plot that was all over the place, a laughable villain (played by a usually pitch-perfect Joseph Gordon Levitt- not sure what happened here), huge plot holes, and way too many side characters and sub plots.
**

The Minis: The only reason I watched this cheap looking, horribly acted dwarf basketball (yes you read correctly) movie is because a friend of mine from college is featured as one of the Vipers team members. So it was cool to see a friend in the movie. That's it. BOMB (that means no stars)

Invention of Lying: More like the invention of religion. A seriously awful (though it started off so well with a great premise) propaganda film against religion. I walked out of the movie. As soon as the lead character opened his door (about an hour into film) and looked like Jesus, my husband and I had had enough. There is a way to poke fun at religion without being completely disrespectful (Monty Python comes to mind). This movie took a huge dump on anyone who believes in a higher power. A patronizing, unfunny, snob fest. ZERO STARS and a big prayer from me for God to smite anyone who appeared in this movie with a bad career.

The Wrestler: A poignant, compelling, moving, beautifully acted character study about an aging wrestler (or should I say wrastler) trying to come to terms with life after retirement. A truly wonderful, sad film. And might I add amazing acting by all. Though did Marisa Tomei really need to show all that nudity? ***

High School Musical 2: Yes, I'm a nerd. I know. Laugh it up. All in all, not very enjoyable. Though Zach Efron's voice had matured considerably (he was quite good), I always love Sharpe and her brother anytime they're on screen, and it was funny seeing Molly from Season 6 So You Think You Think You Can Dance as a featured dancer throughout the whole film, the plot was clichéd, Vanessa Hudgen's voice was still a helium nightmare and there was no chemistry between the leads who are dating now so there’s no excuse.

Next, the Houdini docudrama Death Defying Acts starring Guy Pearce and Oscar Winner Catherine Zeta Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment