Sunday, January 15, 2012

DVD Tuesdays with Mell January 17th, 2012 Thurgood (TV), The Ides of March , Courageous & more

This week: a HBO TV movie, a Golden Globe favorite, religious lessons, & culinary school.

<span class=The Ides of March (2011)Courageous (2011)Toast (2010)

Thurgood (TV) 2011 3X Emmy nominated HBO drama Starring: Oscar nom Laurence Fishburne (What's Love Got to Do with It). Written by: Oscar nom George Steven's Jr. (The Five Cities of June). Directed by: 3X Emmy winner Michael Stevens. Plot: Re-creating his Tony-nominated performance, Fishburne stars in this one-man live show as renowned lawyer and civil rights leader Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American justice to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnOB5PpXHu0 Review: This is on my to watch list because it was nominated for 3 Emmys in 2011, and I always watch the Emmy nominees/winners. I also have a great respect for Thurgood Marshall. Being a GA native, I know a great deal about Brown vs. Board. I'm just not sure how interesting this will be as a one man show. We will see. Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.

The Ides of March 2011 Oscar nominated Political thriller Starring: 2X Oscar nom Ryan Gosling (Blue Valentine), Oscar winner George Clooney (Syriana), Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote), Oscar nom Paul Giamatti (Sideways), Emmy nom Evan Rachel Wood (Mildred Pierce), Oscar winner Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny), Emmy winner Jeffrey Wright (Angels in America) & Max Minghella (The Darkest Hour). Directed by: Clooney (Leatherheads). Written by: Clooney (Good Night, and Good Luck), 2X Oscar nom Grant Heslov (Good Night, and Good Luck), & Beau Willimon based on his play "Farragut North". Plot: Dirty tricks stand to soil an ambitious young press spokesman's (Gosling) idealism in a cutthroat presidential campaign where "victory" is relative. The film is inspired by the real-life experiences of an aide who worked on Howard Dean's failed 2004 run. Trailer: http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/catalog/movie/trailer/512733 Review: Considering the 2004 election was the first election that I could vote in, I was very interested in seeing this film. I heard so much hype about this film and I'm a huge fan of Clooney as a director. I found this film to be very absorbing. It's interesting how a story line as simple as an election can keep you so engrossed as a film. The directing work was excellent. All the actors were on point. Not one was a particular stand out. They were all good. I wanna see the play now. I'd love to be in the play. I also liked how this film was made without bias. There were no good guys or bad guys in this. If there had been, it might've screamed political agenda. The film was about the Democratic primaries. They could've easily pit Democrat versus Republican, and I respect the fact that they didn't do that. It was a movie about motives and people. My only problem with this film was that I didn't want it to end. I wanted to see what would happen, even though I know what happened in the 2004 election. I wanted it to keep going until its fateful conclusion. I think that the film would've had more resonance if it had. But it was still good. My sister Tina is interning at the White House this summer. This should definitely be on her "to watch" list. Rating: Noteworthy. Watch with: The Manchurian Candidate.

Courageous 2011 Spiritual Drama Directed by: Alex Kendrick (Fireproof). Written by: Alex & Stephen Kendrick (Fireproof) Plot: Despite showing bravery on the job, a group of law enforcement officers find themselves undone when tragedy strikes at home in this social drama. With the aid of their beliefs, however, the men find a deeper well of courage in their hearts. Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2077596697/ Review: I'm a fan of Fireproof despite some bad acting by the supporting cast. My husband's a cop in the military so I was very curious as to what this story is going to be about. My hubby and I watched it together. We were both impressed at the caliber of the acting & production value of this film. This is how you get your message across. I thought the story line was believable and any one can relate to it, parent or not, cop or not. This is a very good direction for these Christian films to go. Rating: Noteworthy. Watch with: Fireproof.

Toast 2010 Indie British Comedic Period Piece Starring: Freddie Highmore (The Art of Getting By) & 2X Oscar nom Helena Bonham Carter (The King's Speech). Directed by: S.J. Clarkson ("Dexter"). Written by: Oscar nom Lee Hall (Billy Elliot) based on the memoir by Nigel Slater. Plot: Young Nigel (Highmore) struggles with his mother's death, a troubled relationship with his father (Ken Stott) and a new stepmother (Bonham Carter) even as he pursues his passion for cooking. Trailer: http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/catalog/movie/trailer/513753 Review: I love food movies because I am a huge foodie. I haven't seen a good one in a while. I hope this film changes that. Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.


No comments:

Post a Comment