Monday, June 7, 2010

Easier With Practice

Plot: Based on an article featured in GQ, a lonely writer begins a phone relationship with a random woman who calls his motel room one night of his book tour.

Starring: Brian Geraghty (The Hurt Locker), Marguerite Moreau ("Parenthood"), Jeanette Brox ("Make It or Break It" ), Eugene Byrd ("Bones" )

Review: I wasn't sure what kind of movie this was going to be. I was hoping it would be a serious version of Denise Calls Up. After the first phone call between the lead and mystery women, I thought it was going to be a weird and kind of perverted movie. You can guess what the phone call was like. As the movie progressed, however, I was hoping that the two people would meet and end up together. Then I remembered this is an Indie film where happy endings typically don't occur. What happens at the end is not something you would expect. The only way I can some up this film without giving too much away is that it's a sadly beautiful story about lonliness.

Awards:

Independent Spirit Awards
YearResultAwardCategory/Recipient(s)
2010WonSomeone to Watch Award
Kyle Patrick Alvarez

NominatedIndependent Spirit AwardBest First Feature
Kyle Patrick Alvarez (director)
Cookie Carosella (producer)

Rating:

Writing-A

Acting-A

Directing-C-strange long shots made it hard for me to distinguish between characters.

Music-C-pretty generic indie fare

Cinematography-B

Editing-B

Costumes-A

Art Direction-A

Hair-C

Makeup-B

***- Stars- I'm surprised I liked it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment