Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Election Movies

On My Watch List
but haven't seen them
Image of Recount2008 TV Movie
Plot: Chronicles the weeks after the 2000 U.S. presidential election and the subsequent recounts in Florida. 
Director: Jay Roach

Why I Wanna See This: I picked this because I remember this debacle and discussing it at length in my high school government class. I voted for the first time in the 2004 election. 
Bulworth Poster1998
Plot: A suicidal politician puts a hit out on himself and takes the opportunity to be bluntly honest with his voters.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (story),  (screenplay) | 

Why I Wanna See This: Didn't interest me as a kid, but now I'm fascinated with the lines between PC & lying, telling the truth and just being a douchebag, especially in politics. 


Image of Game Change2012 TV Movie
Plot: Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska becomes Sen. John McCain's running mate in the 2008 presidential election. 
Director: Jay Roach

Why I Wanna See This: The performances, particularly the Award winning one of Moore. What do the filmmakers really mean by game change?  McCain lost.

Head of State Poster2003
Plot: When a presidential candidate dies unexpectedly in the middle of the campaign, Washington, D.C. alderman, Mays Gilliam is unexpectedly picked as his replacement.

Director:

 

Writers:

 

Why I Wanna See This: Now that I understand the actual premise, something truncated in the tv promos I saw, this seems like it could be rather funny and satirical. 
The Purge: Election Year Poster2016
Plot: Former police sergeant Barnes (Grillo) has become head of security for Senator Charlie Roan (Mitchell), a Presidential candidate targeted for death on Purge night due to her vow to eliminate the Purge.

Director:

 

Writer:

 

Why I wanna see this: I likes both previous films. I especially liked the expanding government aspect in the 2nd film. 
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Poster1939
Plot: A naive man (Stewart) is appointed to fill a vacancy in the United States Senate. His plans promptly collide with political corruption, but he doesn't back down.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (screen play),  (story)

Why I Wanna See This: Jimmy Stewart is my favorite classic actor. The filibuster scene is pretty epic. 
The Campaign Poster2012
Plot: An incumbent congressman (Ferrell) embroiled in personal scandal faces a no-holds-barred challenge from a naive newcomer (Galifianakis) funded by two unscrupulous billionaire lobbyist brothers.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (screenplay),  (screenplay) | 3 more credits »

Why I Wanna See This: Will Ferrell
Wag the Dog Poster1997

Plot: Shortly before an election, a spin-doctor and a Hollywood producer join efforts to fabricate a war in order to cover up a presidential sex scandal.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (book),  (screenplay) | 1 more credit »

Why I Wanna See This: I love moves about filmmaking, even fake movies like in Argo. 
Swing Vote Poster2008
Plot: In a remarkable turn-of-events, the result of the presidential election comes down to one man's vote.

Why I Wanna See This: Though far-fetched in premise, I'd like to think my vote counts. 


The Distinguished Gentleman Poster1992

Plot: A Florida con man uses the passing of the long time Congressman from his district who he just happens to share a name with, to get elected to his version of paradise, Congress.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (story),  (story) 

Why I Wanna See This: Classic Eddie Murphy. Trading Places was also rife with political satire.

My Picks
Image of The Ides of March2011
Plot: An idealistic staffer for a new presidential candidate gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail. 
Director: George Clooney

Why I Recommend This: To see how the sausage is made and how easy it is to become a corrupt part of the system. 


Man of the Year Poster2006
Plot: A comedian who hosts a news satire program decides to run for president, and a computerized voting machine malfunction gets him elected.

Director:

 

Writer:

 

Why I Recommend This: This cycle we got a tv personality as our president. 

Idiocracy Poster2006
Plot: Private Joe Bauers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes five centuries in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (story),  (screenplay) | 1 more credit »

Why I Recommend This: Average Joe gets thrown into politics cuz he happens to be the smartest person in the room. 

Dave Poster1993
Plot: To avoid a potentially explosive scandal when the U.S. President goes into a coma, an affable temp agency owner with an uncanny resemblance is put in his place.

Director:

 

Writer:

 

Why I Recommend This: It's been years, but I remember liking this movie. Although, in real life they would just swear in the VP. 
Election Poster1999
Plot: A high school teacher's personal life becomes complicated as he works with students during the school elections, particularly with an obsessive overachiever determined to become student body president.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (novel),  (screenplay) |1 more credit »

Why I Recommend This: Fantastic political satire comparing real politics to high school. Not much different. 
Air Force One Poster1997
Plot: Hijackers seize the plane carrying the President of the United States and his family, but he - an ex-soldier - works from hiding to defeat them.

Director:

 

Why I Recommend This: In this the VP isn't elected. She's sworn in after AF One is hijacked. That's protocol. It counts. It's also a badass movie. 
The Manchurian Candidate Poster2004
Plot: In the midst of the Gulf War, soldiers are kidnapped and brainwashed for sinister purposes.

Director:

 

Writers:

  (novel),  | 2 more credits »

Why I Recommend This: I haven't seen the original, but I saw this version and liked it. Great cast! Compelling during this time period as much as the original.
Milk Poster2008
Plot: The story of Harvey Milk, and his struggles as an American gay activist who fought for gay rights and became California's first openly gay elected official.

Director:

 

Why I Recommend This: No matter your feelings about the man's lifestyle, this is a part of American history and should be seen. I wasn't sure if I would like the movie cuz I doubted the casting choice even though Penn looks just like Milk. Not convincing imo as a gay man, but he played the other scenes well. Brolin is fantastic in this. Gus Van Sant is able to bring his signature style to a seemingly straight forward biopic. 
Triumph's Election Special 2016 Poster2016

Triumph's Election Special 2016 

Plot: Triumph the Insult Comedian Dog reports from the primary states, chases down candidates, attends town halls, debates, and goes to Donald Trump rallies.

Why I Recommend This: This special is hilarious and will piss off both sides of the aisle. It's very funny, biting, and more balanced than most media outlets. How is it that I prefer getting my news from John Oliver and a dog puppet? But I do. I much prefer it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment