Sunday, March 29, 2015

[DVD] Tuesdays with Mell 03/24/15 Big Hero 6, Song One, & Beyond the Lights



Disney does Marvel animated & music movies


2014 Animated PG

Oscar winner: Best Animated Film

2014 Music Romance Drama R

Sundance NomineeGrand Jury Prize




Plot: A young woman strikes up a relationship with her ailing brother's favorite musician.



Review:
Seen through the eyes of a musician then an anthropologist, this movie takes Franny and the viewers on a journey, an anthropological excursion through the pages of her comatose brother's journal. This is an emotional journey of understanding, forgiveness, inspiration, and consolation. The original music sets the tone for this mesmerizing, moving story where every conversation & encounter seem genuine and realistic. I was so moved by this I started writing a melody to a new song as soon as I was done. Like a melody you can't get out of your head, this movie brought me to tears and stayed with me long after it was over. Please support this beautiful little film however you can. Originality and authenticity is in short supply.  

Rating: Noteworthy

Watch with:
Beyond the Lights

2014 PG-13 Music Romance

Oscar nominee: Best Song "Grateful"




Plot: The pressures of fame have superstar singer Noni on the edge, until she meets Kaz, a young cop who works to help her find the courage to develop her own voice and break free to become the artist she was meant to be.

Review: Music is the first love of my life, and you never forget your first love. I really see myself in musician characters cuz the place I feel most myself and most free is when I'm performing. As I've gotten older, it's especially freeing to be singing on stage. I don't feel the pressure to be up there for anyone else other than myself. However, at one point in my life, I did. I wasn't free because I was always analyzing what the crowd, my teachers, or what my parents wanted from me. It wasn't until I met the love of my life, my husband, that he finally saw the best of me, but most importantly, saw me and loved me as I am. He told me that there will always be people that tell me I can't do something, so I shouldn't help them. It was that conversation that led to a slew of film roles that I never would've auditioned for if he hadn't said those words to me. I started letting go on stage when I performed. For the first time in my life I felt free on stage, and I felt like me. Though I've never attempted suicide, I see a lot of myself in Noni. I see this love story, and so many moments remind me of how I fell in love with my husband. My husband also happens to be a cop lol. We'd even done the whole "get away from everyone for a few days trip", but when we did it we eloped. 8 years later I'm still singing,  acting, writing, and in love. This film felt real, hit me emotionally, had great acting, and was beautifully sung by Mbatha-Raw. I look forward to getting the soundtrack. I look forward to making my husband watch this movie with me lol. My only gripe with this film is that Minnie Driver did not get to sing in this or on the soundtrack. What a missed opportunity! It would've shown where Noni got her talent. So watch this video of Driver singing a slow, moody version of Fly Me To The Moon and pretend like she does in the movie.

Rating: Noteworthy

If this movie has you singing it's praises, watch with:
AddictedBelleSong OneThe Bodyguard (1992) Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment