Sunday, March 2, 2014

[DVD] Tues w. Mell 2/24/2014 Thor: The Dark World, Gravity, Nebraska, Blue Is the Warmest Color & more

Image of Thor: The Dark World2013 Adventure/fantasy
Director: Alan Taylor
Writers:

Writers:

  (screenplay), (screenplay), 
Stephen McFeely...(screenplay)
 
Don Payne...(story) and
Robert Rodat...(story)
 
Stan Lee...(comic book) and
Larry Lieber...(comic book) and
Jack Kirby...(comic book)
When Jane Foster is possessed by a great power, Thor must protect her from a new threat of old times: the Dark Elves. 
Trailer
Review: I haven't seen this yet nor The Avengers, but I've seen the first Thor. The things I liked about Thor: Brilliant director Kenneth Branaugh, Anthony Hopkins, moments of hilarity with Thor on Earth, & a fantastic villain. Well, at least 3 of those things exist with this one. I didn't enjoy the first one much. I just found those things to enjoy about it. As much as I heart Anthony Hopkins, I simply have no interest in seeing this pointless attempt at sucking more movie-goers money. The Avengers got Oscar nominations for its technical prowess. This film failed at that. It also failed to keep the interest of the original director. Mrs. Portman please do not succumb to the Oscar curse and start picking bad movies. After my hubby who is interested in it watches it, will I then give you his man perspective.
Rating: TBD
 Watch with: Thor & The Avengers in that order. Also, Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America, & The Incredible Hulk.   
Plot: A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after an accident leaves them adrift in space. 
Review: Read my full review here.
Image of Nebraska2013 Drama
6X Oscar nom
Director: Alexander Payne
Plot: An aging, booze-addled father makes the trip from Montana to Nebraska with his estranged son in order to claim a million-dollar Mega Sweepstakes Marketing prize. 
Trailer
Review: Not only was this movie nominated for 6 Oscars, but it looks damn funny, I love the premise, and I'm curious to see Will Forte in a completely different role from SNL.
Rating: TBD.
Watch with: Sideways
Image of Blue Is the Warmest Color2013 Romance
2014 Indie Spirit winner- Best International Film
Adele's life is changed when she meets Emma, a young woman with blue hair, who will allow her to discover desire, to assert herself as a woman and as an adult. In front of others, Adele grows, seeks herself, loses herself and ultimately finds herself through love and loss.
Trailer
Review: I'm only watching this film cuz of its Indie Spirit win. I have no problem with the love story aspect of it, I just think it's a bit creepy how young these girls look. I'd be creeped out just the same if it was a straight relationship as well. I just don't like seeing kids that look underage having sex. It's just weird. It's the big sister in me I guess. But I'll give this a go anyhow. I do like how it's a different approach to the whole first love story.
Rating: TBD
Watch with: My Summer of Love & Imagine Me & You (This film I absolutely loved! 
Mr. Nobody (2009) Poster2009 Fantasy
Director: Jaco Van Dormael
A boy stands on a station platform as a train is about to leave. Should he go with his mother or stay with his father? Infinite possibilities arise from this decision. As long as he doesn't choose, anything is possible. 
Trailer
Review: This movie looks surreal and strange and weird and totally up my alley. JW why it took so long to get released on DVD?
Rating: TBD
Watch with: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

A single mother brings her teenage son to Sarajevo, where his father died in the Bosnian conflict years ago. 
Trailer
Review: Haven't even heard of this, but watch the trailer and wanted to see it. The only problem I have going into this film is why have Penelope Cruz play the younger version of her. I'm sorry but she's gotten to the point where she can't play girls in her 20's anymore so it looks really unnatural seeing her with Emile who is in his late 20's. Maybe their chemistry will make me think otherwise. We'll see.
Rating: TBD
Watch with: Without Borders 
Image of The Wait2013 Fantasy
Plot: Two sisters decide to keep their deceased mother in their home after being informed that she will come back to life.
Trailer
Review: OK this looks weird. I doubt it's gonna go into zombie territory. It's probably gonna be a surreal indie take on grief, but I'm very curious to see where it will go.
Rating: TBD
Watch with: Melancholia 



No comments:

Post a Comment