Sunday, June 23, 2013

{DVD] Tuesdays with Mell 6/18 Jack the Giant Slayer, Stoker, The Brass Teapot, "Web Therapy" S2, The Last Exorcism Part II,

Image of Jack the Giant SlayerImage of StokerImage of The Brass Teapot
Image of Web TherapyImage of QuartetImage of The Last Exorcism Part II


Jack the Giant Slayer 2013 Director: Bryan SingerStars: Nicholas HoultStanley TucciEwan McGregorBill Nighy Plot: The ancient war between humans and a race of giants is reignited when Jack (Hoult), a young farmhand fighting for a kingdom and the love of a princess, opens a gateway between the two worlds. Trailer Review: I love fairy tales. Acting them out was the first acting I ever did before I even knew what it was. Recently, I saw Hoult in Warm Bodies. Such a great actor. Looking forward to this. One caveat: Why does the 2 headed giant look like the creature in 300? Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.

Stoker 2013 Director: Chan-wook Park (Old Boy) Stars: Mia WasikowskaNicole KidmanMatthew GoodeDermot Mulroney Plot: After India's (Wasikowska) father (Mulroney) dies, her Uncle Charlie (Goode), who she never knew existed, comes to live with her and her unstable mother (Kidman). She comes to suspect this mysterious, charming man has ulterior motives and becomes increasingly infatuated with him. Trailer Review: This movie looks strange & creepy. Right up my alley lol. I'm really loving all this new work from Kidman. She's choosing some really interesting stuff. Won't be too long now for another Oscar nom me thinks. Nice to see Goode in a role he can actually act in & not just look good in. I'm getting a modern Hamlet vibe from this. Can't wait! Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.

The Brass Teapot 2012 Director: Ramaa MosleyStars: Juno TempleMichael AngaranoAlexis Bledel When a couple (Temple & Angarano) discovers that a brass teapot makes them money whenever they hurt themselves, they must come to terms with how far they are willing to go. Trailer  Review: So I recently met the father of one of the producers in this movie. It's pretty great to know that someone from Minot ND (My hubby & I currently live on Minot AFB) of all places not only started up his own production company (Northern Lights which produces out of here, CA, & more) but is also producing really great, high quality films like The Brass Teapot. Yes, Middle GA Talent friends, that is the meeting I was referring to earlier. Even if I never get to work with him, at least I know that some great talent can come out of Minot. To be added to the roster of Wiz Khalifa & Josh Duhamel. Hope to be added to that list soon lol. Now to the review: This movie was a darkly comic, sometimes disturbing & often funny morality tale about the love of money being the root of all evil. I loved everything about this film until the ending. This film was well-produced, well-acted, funny, & smart. The ending was mostly good. It's just the last tiny scene right before the credits that ruined it for me in some ways. Here is an indie flick talking about the importance of the people in your life & love & how the love of money can corrupt that. They sold you this idea in a clever, funny, not -spoon-fed way. Then what do they do? Basically imply that true happiness comes from having children and that you're selfish if you don't. That wasn't really a spoiler I promise. I though this was supposed to be an indie film-where the idea of being a married couple doesn't automatically come with children. It's a couple's choice. It's not right for all couples or all families. I'm really disappointed that it had that kind of dated thinking right at the end of a fantastic indie film.  Rating: Noteworthy with a Stamped Out Final Scene. Watch with: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind & Heathers.

 "Web Therapy" S2 Stars: Lisa KudrowDan BucatinskyVictor GarberJennifer Elise Cox Plot:The popular online show, now a television series, features Fiona Wallice who is branching into a new type of therapy. She decides that 3 minutes over web cam is better than 50 minutes of patients rambling on. Trailer Review: I'm on episode 6 of S2. I love this show, add I'm so glad it got picked up by Showtime. Gives me hope for my web-series lol. This show is largely improvised. For any Lisa Kudrow naysayers out there, this should change your mind about her. It's also great seeing the guest stars every week and seeing if they can keep up with Kudrow. Rating: So far I'd say this show is Epic! It's done so much for web series. It's also very smart & very well-acted. Watch with: "Friends" & "The Comeback"


Quartet 2012 Director: Dustin Hoffman Stars: Maggie SmithMichael GambonBilly Connolly Plot: At a home for retired musicians, the annual concert to celebrate Verdi's birthday is disrupted by the arrival of Jean, an eternal diva (Smith) and the former wife of one of the residents. Trailer  Review: This movie is probably my fate, what with men usually dying before women. Sorry honey. After such time, I shall join the likes of other old has-beens at the musician retirement home. Sounds like college all over again, except I'll be able to take my hearing aid out whether people get too noisy. Curious to see Hoffman at the helm. Wondering if any of these actors can really sing. Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.

The Last Exorcism Part II (2013) Director: Ed Gass-Donnelly Stars: Ashley BellSpencer Treat Clark As Nell Sweetzer (Bell) tries to build a new life after the events of the first movie, the evil force that once possessed her returns with an even more horrific plan. Trailer Review: I was disappointed with the ending of the first film. I'm curious as to what really happened at the end. Hopefully this one will have an actual ending.  Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.

 American Mary 2012 Plot: A disillusioned medical student (Katharine Isabelle) becomes an underground surgeon specializing in body modification in this disturbing horror yarn Trailer Review: This movie looks twisted. It fascinates me why people do the things they do. This movie deals with underground plastic surgery, except people are asking for things a normal plastic surgeon would never agree to. Sounds like an episode of "Nip/Tuck" to me. Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.

Movie 43 2013 Directors: Peter Farrelly, Brett Ratner, James Gunn and Steve Carr. Cast: Hugh Jackman, Naomi Watts, Gerard Butler, Kate Winslet, Chloë Grace Moretz, Liev Schreiber, Terrence Howard, and Richard Gere. Plot: Anarchic, anything-goes comedy that shatters the boundaries of good taste Trailer  Review: I love anthology films. There seem to be some good directors here & a great cast. Let's see if the individual segments can connect together in a full story.  Rating: TBD. Watch with: TBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment